General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentists Serving Brighton, Thornton, Commerce City, Fort Lupton & Nearby Colorado
First dental experiences can last a lifetime, which is why Bromley Park Dental is passionate about creating positive dental experiences for your child that will foster trust and comfort. Our children’s dental services are designed to make every visit to the dentist fun and rewarding, establishing a foundation of great oral health and habits that will last a lifetime.
To schedule an appointment for your children with one of our experienced and friendly dentists, please contact Bromley Park Dental today online or at 303-659-0667. We welcome young patients from Brighton, Thornton, Commerce City and Fort Lupton.
Learn all about our child-focused services:
- The importance of baby teeth
- Individualized children's dentistry
- Your child's first dental exam
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Mouth guards
- Dental tips for a lifetime of good oral health
- How can I find the right kid's dentist near me?
- A gentle dental atmosphere
- Schedule your child's dental visit today
The Importance Of Baby Teeth
Children’s teeth begin to form before birth. The first primary (baby) teeth can erupt through the gums as early as four months. The lower central incisors emerge first, followed by the upper central incisors. Other baby teeth will erupt sporadically, but all 20 baby teeth should usually appear by age three.
Many parents don’t understand how important baby teeth are. When primary teeth are neglected, cavities can form, leading to problems which can have a significant impact on developing permanent teeth. Baby teeth are important for a number of reasons, including:
- The ability to properly chew and eat
- The development of muscles and jaw bones
- Proper speech development
- Promotes proper positioning of new, permanent teeth
- Healthy appearance
Permanent teeth usually start to emerge around age six, with the lower central incisors and first molars. This process can continue into an adult’s early twenties. Adults have 28 permanent teeth, or up to 32 including wisdom teeth (third molars).
Individualized Children’s Dentistry
Small children, young adolescents and teenagers all need unique approaches to their oral care, helping them avoid dental problems and guiding their dental growth and development. Our compassionate and experienced dentists are dedicated to meeting these diverse needs.
We offer a comprehensive range of dental services that address all of the varied dental needs of your children, including:
- Dental check-ups and cleanings
- Fillings for cavities
- Application of dental sealants
- Fluoride treatments
- Patient education
Our dentists firmly believe in empowering children to take command of their dental health, which cannot be effectively done without parental involvement. We welcome parents to accompany children into the examination room and we encourage close involvement with your child’s dental hygiene routine at home.
In addition to the health and preventative benefits of children’s dental visits, it’s important for your child to hear our dentists reinforce the importance of the good habits you are trying to instill at home. By working together, we can help establish good oral hygiene regimens that will benefit your child for years to come.
Your Child’s First Dental Exam
At Bromley Park Dental, we start seeing children when they are about 2 years old. We call the first appointments with our very young patients “happy visits.”
The importance of positive early dental experiences cannot be overstated. We recognize the last-lasting effects these visits have, and make sure that your child feels relaxed and engaged throughout the entire process.
Bringing your children to the dentist at an early age provides a number of long-term benefits, such as:
- Good oral hygiene habits are established at an early age
- They are less likely to be afraid of dental procedures
- They are more likely to see dental visits as a normal part of life
- There is greater opportunity to catch dental issues early, before they become serious problems
Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
When appropriate, some children are given “laughing gas” to help them relax during treatment. Laughing gas is a blend of two gasses: nitrous oxide and oxygen. The gas is mild, non-addictive and easily taken. It is delivered through a comfortable breathing mask which is positioned over the nose, helping your child relax, but remain awake and fully functional. Then, with regular breathing, the gas is quickly eliminated from the body.
This technique has been recognized by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry to be very safe and effective for treating children’s dental needs.
Prior to nitrous oxide sedation, please let us know:
- If your child is taking any medication on the day of the appointment
- If there are any respiratory conditions that make it difficult for your child to breathe through the nose – it may affect the effectiveness of the gas
- If there is a change to your child’s health or medical condition
If your child participates in organized sports or recreational activities, there is always a risk for injury. A customized mouth guard is an important piece of athletic gear that can help protect your child from dental emergencies such as broken teeth or injuries to the jaw, lips or tongue. Be sure to ask us about our custom mouth guards whenever your child is preparing to get involved in physical activities that could result in a blow to the mouth or face.
Dental Tips For A Lifetime Of Good Oral Health
At an early age, children understand the importance of a great smile. They are told to flash their grins and say “cheese” for countless pictures, selfies and status updates. However, the benefits of healthy teeth and gums involve much more than a pleasing smile. Good dental health is crucial to a child’s overall well-being and prevents serious problems, needless discomfort and saves money.
There are a number of steps you can take as a parent right away to help your child enjoy a lifetime of good oral health, including:
- Schedule regular dentist visits: You may be surprised to learn that nearly half of kids aged 2 to 5 have never been to a dentist’s office. By making sure your children keep regular appointments with the dentist, you are setting them up for a lifetime of good oral health.
- Instill trust in dentists: It’s important to teach your child at an early age that dentists are important care givers. Anxiety and fear often prevent people from getting the important care they need. To help your child avoid this fear, refrain from sharing your own negative experiences or dental phobias. Don’t go into too much detail about procedures and avoid words like “drill” or "painful.”
- Promote healthy eating habits: A healthy diet leads to healthy teeth. Just like any part of your body, your teeth and gums need a well-balanced diet. Unfortunately, many of the snacks that are targeted toward children contain high amounts of sugar, which lead to cavities. Avoid sugary snacks and sports drinks and choose healthy alternatives like fruits, vegetables and water – which are better for your kid’s teeth and entire body.
- Teach Proper Oral Hygiene: Establishing good oral hygiene habits early can help your child avoid cavities and gum disease down the road. Brush your child’s teeth twice a day until he or she is able to work a toothbrush alone. Even then, stay with your child to ensure the brushing is done properly. Once the evening brushing is finished, don’t offer your child food or drinks (other than water) until the next morning.
How Can I Find The Right Kid’s Dentist Near Me?
You want the best for your family. Just like any other health care provider, you need to find a dentist who you can trust to provide your children with premium care and positive experiences.
Whether you’re looking for a new dentist under your coverage or you’ve recently moved near the Brighton area, finding the perfect dental home for your kids can be a daunting task.
Here are some things to consider when looking for the right dentist:
- Visit the office and meet the dentist: You can’t learn everything about a dental practice by looking online. When you’re trying to determine a good fit for your family, it’s a good idea to actually visit the office and meet the dentist personally. Our dentists and staff welcome you to come down and meet us. We’re excited to meet you!
- See if the office is kid-friendly: The dentist’s office can be a scary place for some children. It’s important to see for yourself if the office provides a kid-friendly atmosphere. At Bromley Park Dental, we pride ourselves on creating positive experiences that will last a lifetime in a fun, friendly environment.
- Ask about the dental services offered: The treatments offered by dentists can vary widely from one practice to the next. When seeking a dental home for your child, consider the services they are capable of performing. We are proud to offer a depth of experience, technology and expertise that allows us to perform a number of dental services in our office, including oral surgery. For almost all of your family’s dental needs, you won’t have to drive for miles or worry about sending your child to a new, unfamiliar dentist for important treatments.
A Gentle Dental Atmosphere
Family dentistry is the heart of our practice, which is why we focus so much on providing gentle dental care. As part of our commitment to the comfort and satisfaction of our patients, we employ gentle techniques that curb anxiety and foster an environment of security and trust. We strive to deliver a conservative, relaxing approach to family dentistry.
If it’s your child’s first visit to the dentist, or if your child has had negative experiences with other dental practices in the past, we understand that he or she may be nervous or afraid. By combining the friendly and encouraging demeanor of our dentists and staff with gentle techniques and sedation options, we can effectively provide a relaxed dental experience.
For additional comfort, your child can relax and simply watch cartoons during treatment. Many times, we’ve found that enjoying a cartoon can relax a child even more than laughing gas. No matter the circumstances, we take the extra step to ensure you and your child feel cared for and at ease during every visit to our office.